Matthew 3:10-12, “And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire: Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”
I agree with Evangelist John R. Rice (1895-1980) in his Bible commentary on the Book of Matthew that Jesus baptizing sinners “with fire” refers to eternal punishment in the Lake of Fire. Verse 12 confirms this truth, “but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”
I am sometimes asked the question: Can a sinner not believe in Hell and still be saved? I do believe that it is possible for someone to deny the existence of a literal burning Hell and still be saved, but it is weird and difficult to grasp. Someone could argue that if a lost sinner denies a literal burning Hell they are denying the deserved consequences of their sins. However, there are too many variables to just make a blanket statement regarding who is saved or lost.
I would humbly say that a person who denies the existence of Hell could certainly be a truly regenerate person. Christians have all kinds of theological weaknesses, strange ideas and blatant errors. We all struggle with this to some degree. No one has all the answers, “For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known” (1st Corinthians 13:12). I don't think we should automatically assume that someone is not saved who professes faith in Jesus Christ, like Renee Roland on YouTube, but denies an eternal burning Hell for unbelievers.
To deny the reality of a burning Hell certainly raises the $64,000 question of whether or not a person is in the faith, because it is such a core teaching of inspired Scripture. I have never even questioned if Hell exists because the inspired King James Bible says that it does!
God doesn't require that we become a theologian to be saved; but rather, just to believe that Jesus did it all for us through Calvary's cross 2,000 years ago. I have read some bizarre religious tracts a mile long by religious zealots who demand that to be saved a sinner must believe in Jesus' deity, His virgin birth, sinless life, blood sacrifice applied to the heavenly Mercy Seat, Jesus' Second Coming, et cetera.
In sharp contrast, the Apostle Paul in 1st Corinthians 15:1-6 simply defines “the gospel” as Jesus' death on the cross, burial and resurrection from the dead three days later. John 20:31 teaches that to be saved we must believe Jesus is the Christ, the only begotten Son of God.
You also need to know that you are a guilty sinner, otherwise why would you need a Savior? You need to know what you are being saved from. I admit that I have struggled over the years with the question of whether someone must believe in Hell to be saved. If there is no Hell, then why would you need a Savior? Yet, there is no debate that you must be born again if you want to go to Heaven. So, I am not dogmatic in this matter. I certainly could be wrong. I just think that God intentionally made getting saved very easy, free and simple, because there are a lot of stupid people in the world. I say that kindly in love, but truthfully.
It is quite easy for us as humans to try to categorize, standardize and normalize everything to fit into our finite mold of thinking. But I don't think it is that easy. The Bible defines the Gospel for us in 1st Corinthians 5:1-6. When I got saved at age 13, I didn't know Jesus is God. I didn't learn that theological truth until I was 18 years old in Bible college. But when I heard that Jesus is God, the indwelling Holy Spirit confirmed in my soul that it was the truth, and I gladly embraced Jesus' deity. I think I had always known that Jesus is God, but I just needed to hear someone say it for me to nail down that fundamental Bible doctrine.
There is a fine line between faith and foolishness. We must be very careful about adding MORE requirements to God's simple plan of salvation. It is obvious that when Roman Catholics add their Seven Sacraments to faith, they are not true born again believers. Adding even the least bit of work to faith negates God's saving grace, so that a person cannot be saved. This is exactly what the Scripture means in Galatians 5:4, “Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.” No believer has ever fallen “from grace”; but rather, “in grace” (Romans 5:20, 6:1).

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.