Ephesians 1:12-14, “That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.”
Dear reader, from the very moment that you decided to trust Jesus as the Christ, the only begotten Son of God, you were SEALED by God with His Holy Spirit. That was God's way of proving to you that He will make good on His promise of eternal life, by putting a down payment down, “Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.” That downpayment is the blessed Holy Spirit. The Bible promises in Hebrews 13:5 that God will NEVER leave nor forsake us. In order to keep that solemn promise, God can NEVER remove the Holy Spirit from our body, soul and spirit. God can NEVER remove the free gift of salvation which He has given to us by faith alone.
Dear friend, if you didn't get saved by good works, then how could you ever be lost by bad works? You cannot. Once Saved, Always Saved. Or as I like to better say it: If Saved, Always Saved. No one since the beginning of time has ever LOST God's free gift of salvation, which is by faith alone. This includes all of the Old Testament saints as well. We read in no uncertain terms in Acts 10:43, “To him [Jesus] give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.”
Here are 15 REASONS WHY YOU CANNOT LOSE GOD'S SALVATION:
- ETERNAL LIFE IS ETERNAL. It is NOT “life until you sin again.” Jesus promised us “eternal life” and it is ridiculous to think that He didn’t mean that He gives us life that would never end. Eternal life begins THE MOMENT when we believe. The believer “is passed from death unto life.” (John 5:24)
- SALVATION IS A “BY BIRTH” SITUATION. A birth cannot be undone or reversed. “Once born, always born." Jesus did not teach that a man must be born again and again, and perhaps even yet again. We don’t have a second opportunity to be born again physically, nor do we have or even need a second opportunity to be born again spiritually once we have received our new spiritual birth. If you are born once, you die twice; if you are born twice, you die once. That is, if you are never born again you cannot enter into the Kingdom of God (John 3:3-7).
- SALVATION (ETERNAL LIFE) IS A FREE GIFT. It is not something that is earned or can be deserved. Works earn “rewards,” not salvation. Romans 5:15-18, 6:23; Ephesians 2:8-9; 1st Corinthians 3:11-15. Salvation is not a reward for the righteous, it is a gift for the guilty! Salvation is not doing your best, it is having Christ's best put to your account through receiving Him by faith.
- SALVATION IS BASED UPON HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS, NOT OURS. Philippians 3:9 and 2nd Corinthians 5:21 teach that it is Christ’s righteousness that is imputed to our account. If our salvation is based upon Christ righteousness and not our own, how could our own unrighteousness ever make His righteousness insufficient? When God declares us righteous, it is settled (Romans 8:33-34). Matthew 6:33, “But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.”
- WE ARE KEPT BY THE POWER OF GOD. 1 Peter 1:4-5 teaches this. If it is God’s power that keeps us, who is stronger or more powerful than God?
- JESUS IS HOLDING US IN HIS HAND. John 10:28. We are not holding onto God; He is holding onto us! Even if we could let go, He cannot and will not. 1st Peter 1:3-5 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, (4) To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, (5) Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
- WE SHALL NEVER COME INTO CONDEMNATION OR JUDGMENT. John 5:24 teaches us this. As in John 3:16 and John 10:28 wherein we are told we will NEVER PERISH. In John 11:25 wherein Jesus said the believer will “NEVER DIE,” here we are told the believer will “NEVER COME INTO CONDEMNATION.” If a person could lose salvation, this would not be true
- WE HAVE ALREADY PASSED FROM DEATH UNTO LIFE. Now get this. According to John 5:24, the believer has already passed (past tense) from death into life. This cannot be speaking of physical life, but must be speaking of spiritual death and life. We have never yet been dead physically, but we were dead spiritually before we got saved (Ephesians 2:1-2).
- THE BELIEVER SHALL NEVER DIE. In John 11:25 Jesus said to Martha that “whoever lives and believes in me shall NEVER die.” He surely was not speaking of physical death, because we all die eventually, so He must have been speaking of eternal life.
- JESUS SAID HE WOULD NOT CAST US OUT. As in Hebrews 13:5 wherein Jesus said He would never leave us nor forsake us. He tells us in John 6:37 that He will never cast us out, if we come to Him. In John 5:40 Jesus said, "Ye will not come." He didn't say, "Ye cannot come." We have no one to blame but our self if we reject God's free gift of forgiveness of sins which includes eternal life (Romans 6:23).
- JESUS WILL LOSE NOTHING (THAT INCLUDES US). John 6:39 tells us that Jesus will lose nothing but “will raise it up again at the last day." Whatever we are, we are something! This answers those who say He will not cast us out but we could choose to walk out on our own.
- WE ARE “JUSTIFIED” (DECLARED RIGHTEOUS) BY FAITH. When it is God who does the justifying, that is all we need. Romans 5:1 teaches us that it is because we are justified by faith in Jesus that we have “peace with God.”
- WE ARE SEALED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT. When it is God who does the sealing, man cannot break the seal. The Holy Spirit is given to every believer to be with him and in him forever. 1st Corinthians 6:19-20 teaches us that we are “bought with a price,” the blood of Christ. THE HOLY SPIRIT IS OUR “EARNEST. (GUARANTEE) OF OUR INHERITANCE. Titus 1:2 teaches us that God cannot lie and He has promised us eternal life. God said it; that settles it!
- GOD SAYS WE CAN KNOW WE HAVE ETERNAL LIFE. We are taught in 1st John 5:13 that the believer can “KNOW” that he has eternal life. How could he possibly know it if he could still wind up in hell?
- WE CANNOT “REJOICE” AS JESUS COMMANDED IF WE ARE INSECURE. In Luke 10:20 our dear Savior tells every believer: “rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.” Now how could we obey the Lord's command to REJOICE, if we cannot know 100% for certain that our name is written in Heaven? Every believer's name is recorded in the Lamb's Book of Life. If it were possible to lose, regain, lose, regain and lose our salvation, and go through this horrible cycle of uncertainty, then we couldn't rejoice; but rather, live in constant fear if we slack off and lose eternal life. What a horrible way to live! Matthew 11:28, “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” In salvation, you are coming to Christ, ceasing from all your own labors, and resting entirely in His finished redemptive work (Hebrews 4:10-11; John 6:28-29)